What is the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP)? Which schools participate?
Established in 1994, The Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC) seeks to improve access to post-secondary education through the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP). Through the program, out-of-state students can find more affordable options for their education. MSEP is the largest multi-state tuition reciprocity program in the Midwest, with more than 100 colleges and universities participating across Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
What Is the Midwest Student Exchange Program?
The goal of the MSEP is to reduce high tuition costs for Midwestern students studying in at an out-of-state Midwestern college. In-state public school tuitions are already high, but out-of-state tuitions can rival the steep private university fees.
MSEP stipulates that non-resident students pay no more than 150% of the in-state resident tuition for “specific programs” at public colleges and universities. At private institutions, students receive a 10% tuition reduction. The savings generally fall between $500 and $5,000. Awards usually apply for all four years of college, though you may need to resubmit an application annually.
What Academic Programs/Majors Qualify for the Midwest Student Exchange Program?
Qualifying majors vary by school and degree level (Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD). To see if your prospective major would qualify for MSEP funding, you can input your home state, desired degree level, and school sector online. You’ll be led to a list of participating schools and their accepted majors for the MSEP. Accepted majors often span a breadth of disciplines at each school, from Early Childhood Education to Business. If you later decide to change your major to one that doesn’t qualify for MSEP, you will be responsible for paying full tuition.
How Do I Enroll?
To enroll, begin by contacting the Campus Administrator at the participating MSEP institution directly. You should also clearly mark on the institution’s application form that you are applying through the MSEP program.
Which Schools Participate?
- Bismarck State College | BSC
- Central Methodist University
- Chadron State College | CSC
- Cleveland State University | CSU
- Columbia College (Missouri)
- Culver–Stockton College
- Emporia State University
- Ferris State University
- Fort Hays State University | FHSU
- Harris–Stowe State University
- Indiana State University | ISU
- Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis | IUPUI
- Indiana University East | IU East
- Indiana University Kokomo | IU Kokomo
- Indiana University Northwest | IU Northwest
- Indiana University South Bend | IU South Bend
- Indiana University Southeast | IU Southeast
- Kansas State University | KSU
- Lincoln University (Missouri)
- Lindenwood University
- Mayville State University | MSU
- Maryville University
- Minnesota State University Moorhead | MSUM
- Minnesota State University, Mankato | MNSU
- Missouri Southern State University
- Missouri State University | MSU
- Missouri Valley College
- Missouri Western State University
- North Dakota State University | NDSU
- Northwest Missouri State University
- Pittsburg State University | PSU
- Purdue University Fort Wayne | PFW
- Saint Louis University | SLU
- Shawnee State University | SSU
- Southeast Missouri State University | SEMO
- St. Cloud State University | SCSU
- Truman State University | TSU
- University of Akron
- University of Central Missouri | UCM
- University of Kansas
- University of Minnesota Duluth | UMD
- University of Missouri–Kansas City | UMKC
- University of Missouri–St. Louis | UMSL
- University of Nebraska at Kearney | UNK
- University of Nebraska Omaha | UNO
- University of Nebraska–Lincoln | UNL
- University of North Dakota | UND
- University of Rio Grande
- University of Wisconsin–Green Bay | UW–Green Bay
- University of Wisconsin–La Crosse | UW–La Crosse
- University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee | UWM
- University of Wisconsin–Oshkosh | UW Oshkosh
- University of Wisconsin–River Falls | UW–River Falls
- University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point | UW–Stevens Point
- University of Wisconsin–Stout | UW–Stout
- University of Wisconsin–Superior | UW–Superior
- University of Wisconsin–Whitewater | UW–Whitewater
- Valley City State University | VCSU
- Wayne State College
- Webster University
- Wichita State University | WSU
- William Woods University | WWU
Have more questions about the MSEP? For personalized expertise on getting into your top-choice colleges, consider CollegeVine’s College Application Guidance Program. When you sign up for our program, we carefully pair you with an admissions specialist based on your current academic and extracurricular profile and the schools in which you’re interested. Your personal application specialist will help you with branding, essays, and interviews, and provide you with support and guidance in all other aspects of the application process.
Want more college admissions tips?
We'll send you information to help you throughout the college admissions process.